Monday, April 20, 2009

Album Review: Here, Here and Here


I got drunk yesterday. Like, really drunk. On the scale of 1 to 10 (1 being tipsy and 10 being blacked-out on stage with Steel Train playing the drums) I was at like 8. I didn't realize I was at 8 until this morning, but if anyone saw my facebook wall, or... well, me, would know I was fantastically well last night.

I already did this review last night, in a sense, over the phone, drunkenly, to Meg Frampton, the songstress, the elder of the Meg & Dias. I believe it went something like this:

Me: "Megan!" (Meg isn't short for Megan... it isn't short for anything)
Meg: "Mo! How are you?"
Me: "Oh, i'm fine... sorry to bother you (apology one) but I... I know you're home with your family, so i'm sorry (apology two) but I already called your sister, and your boyfriend, and I felt weird calling all of you back to back to tell you... i'm sorry (three) if that's weird, it made more sense yesterday. I was just calling to tell you how much I love your record"
Meg: "Aw, thanks, Mo. That's so nice, especially coming from you."
Me: "It's so good!..." Here I go into a strange amount of detail about the guitar tone on the second track, and how much I loved the intricacies of the record, juxtaposed with their pop-sensibilities still in tact. I tell her that I think she and her sister have done a wonderful job of creating a unique sound, and brilliantly delivering on the promises made in their past efforts, but still being surprising at the same time. "I fucking loved it!"

I'm sober now... but as eloquent as i'd love to be, that pretty much sums it up. And for those who would say I cannot be critical because of my relationship to the band, are right, in theory. This assumes the fact that one has to like their friends' bands. Of course I liked all of my friend's bands. But now not only do I like Meg & Dia, but after this record I am also a huge fan.

When Meg first played the demo for the title track of the record "Here, Here and Here" for us in a hotel, somewhere, the location escapes me now, it was envisioned to be the opening track to a series of songs she was preparing for a number of reasons: To silence her detractors; to please her super-fans; to propose a hypothesis to skeptics, make her family proud, and to pay tribute to her favorite artists (writers and authors.) This is no easy task... To fulfill any one of these goals is impressive, from the perspective of anyone who has aspired to create for anything other than self-satisfaction... some would say it was a bit of a long shot for her, and the troop that loyally vowed to support her, and her eclectic garage band demos.

That was over a year ago, and I've heard bits and pieces a few times. I heard "Black Wedding," and a few others in car rides with Jonathan, their bassist, and liked what i heard, but never put them into context. They were unmastered, and to me, much more importantly... unsequenced. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to album sequencing. It can make or break a record. Coldplay X&Y? Worst track sequencing of all time. You try reorganizing that record, I guarantee you will like it so much more. Anyway, one thing led to another, and it finally got a release date, and I went to see them on the Take Action Tour, my first time seeing them live since I quit working for them in March of 2008.

Something was off: New songs aren't supposed to translate as well as these did. But songs I never heard before stuck out, and now I had expectations of the record. In my opinion, this is a sure fire way to disappoint yourself. But, I did, and when I saw them a second time on the tour, I looked forward to the new songs, and it only made me want to hear the record more (what new songs are supposed to do, i assume) So, I finally put on the record, with high hopes, and preconceived notions, not only of what it should sound like, and what it represented, and who the people were, and what the live energy will manifest itself as... Some would say it was a long shot for me, to be satisfied with small headphones on at my job in a cubicle... You know, as a fan.

So how is it?

The first thing I noticed was that Here, Here and Here was the last track on the record, and I had to check other websites to make sure I was listening to it in the right order... This was the only disappointment to be had. From beginning to the title track Meg & Dia managed to create a steadily paced, emotionally driven, dynamic, and catchy record that fulfills every promise made in their past. It takes huge leaps of faith, and with every hook lands gracefully each time. It is pop, but is rock, and I mean rock like, with rich textures and thoughtful lead guitar driven composition... it's accessible, but not simplistic. It's warm, and nice, but heavy and abrasive. It is memorable, and distinct. Such a success is so rare these days, it made me jealous. Maybe it was seeing the process from idea to conception but this, this project, this epic undertaking, is a success on all accounts, and I want to know what i feels like, so bad, to hold that success in your hands and stare at the finished product.

In the past I feel like I've wanted to know everything about my favorite records, and I finally got my wish. I thought touring had ruined some of that for me. Because knowing too much can dilute the mysticism of art that is supposed to represent a time and place, and a feeling. It's hard to regain that, and I thought that's why I love less and less records these days, that don't belong to musicians I haven't been a fan of for years. But, still, I love this record. And I know lots of people will love this record, for a variety of reasons. even if only for it's lyrical content (for which Dia has managed to knock out of the park, as well) which is anthemic, and heart-felt, and sincere, but for me it's more than that. There is something incredible going on with these musicians, and I cannot wait for the world to know what I know. If that isn't fandom, I don't know what is.

It seems I have succumbed to the derivatives of my favorite bands, and grown to appreciate the newer applicants, all from the inside, so you'll have to understand this is a breath of fresh air. Even though it will all be new to me from now on with M&D, it's an experience I am looking forward to surprisingly, but I am so grateful to have been a part of it. And if anyone experiences even a portion of what I have with this record, you will be in for a pleasant surprise.

Mo Shafeek
Ex Tour Manager.

No comments: